Elizabethtown College
BSC 247
Elizabethtown, PA 17022
Why Study Abroad?
Events & Announcements
Contact Us
Getting Started
Eligibility & Deadlines
Application Instructions
How to Choose
Myths about Study Abroad
Apply for Study Abroad
Create Account
Short Term Programs
Costs & Payment
Financial Aid
Meet Your Peer Advisors
Study Abroad in the News
Student Blogs
Zika Virus
Faculty Information
Faculty Information
Pre-Departure & Arrival Checklist
Program Search
Program Type:
Program Country:
Program Term:

Frequently Asked Questions


Q: What should I consider when choosing a program?

A. You will want to ask yourself the following questions.

  • Will you be able to take classes in your major/minor? Do you need to be able to take these classes?

  • Is the program conducted in a foreign language or in English? If it is conducted in a foreign language, how many semesters of study in that language are required to participate in the program?

  • What is the program location like? Urban? Rural?

  • Does the program offer internship opportunities?

  • What will your living arrangements be?  Apartment? Dorm? Host Family? Homestay, etc?

  • How does the cost of living differ from the US?

See “How to choose a program” Tab for more information


Q: Where is the study abroad office located?

A: The Office of Study Abroad is located in BSC 247.

Q: Do I need a passport? How do I apply for one?

A: Yes. Apply for your passport if you do not have one. 


Q: Do I need photos for my passport? How many?

A: Yes. 

  • You will need two passport photos for your passport and 4 passport-sized photos for most applications.

Q: I already know what country I want to go to; how do I find out which programs go there?

A: Elizabethtown College affiliates with a number of program providers who offer distinct programs in many different countries around the world. Odds are that you will find a program in your country of interest. Please consult the interactive map of study abroad programs available on our Program tab.

Q: How can I get more information about specific programs?

A: For specific program information please contact Sabina Post directly or visit the program websites. There are also brochures outside the Study Abroad Office for you to browse and take with you. Peer Advisors are also available throughout the week to answer any questions that you may have. Peer Advisor times are available for anyone who walks into the Study Abroad Office.

Q: How likely am I to get into the program I want?

A: A minimum of 2.6 GPA (4.0 index) is required by most programs, however each program has its own selection criteria. Several require a 3.0 or higher. To find out more about a particular program please contact the study abroad office or log on the program website. Once you have met Elizabethtown College criteria for study abroad, it is likely that you will be accepted into the program you choose because we have agreements with the affiliated programs. They will work with the host university for your admittance.

Q: What if E-town isn't affiliated with the program I want?

A: To attend a study abroad program not affiliated with E-town you need to check with Ms. Post first to see if the program has been approved. If it hasn't, you can provide program materials to Ms. Post and see if it can be approved. If it is approved, you will be able to study abroad through the program, remain registered at Elizabethtown, and pay the program provider directly. 

NOTE: You will not be able to use E-town College financial aid for study at an unaffiliated program. You will also be required to pay a $1,000 fee to the college for associated administrative costs.

Q: How much will study abroad cost?

A: For most affiliated programs (except the Washington Semester Program at American University and the School for Field Studies), your federal financial aid and Elizabethtown College scholarships/grants will "travel with you."  That means many students will pay the same tuition price to study abroad as they would pay to stay at Elizabethtown College for a semester.  In addition, there is a $500 study abroad fee for affiliated providers, and a $1,000 fee for non-affiliated providers.

It is important to meet with a financial aid officer during your study abroad application process.
NOTE: Students are ALWAYS responsible for the initial deposit required by all study abroad programs. E-town will not pay this fee, nor reimburse students for it.


Q: Can I go abroad the first semester of my senior year?

A: Yes, as long as it is approved by your academic advisor and by the program itself.

Q: Can I do a summer program?

A: Yes, there are hundreds of summer programs to choose from. Please be aware that financial aid almost never applies to summer programs. However, summer programs can be cheaper in tuition costs and therefore make a summer experience very affordable for those who are not able to go for a semester.

Q: Can I study abroad after I graduate?

A: Yes, but you will need to make arrangements independently or through another university, not through E-town.

Q: I have a physical and/or learning disability. Can I still study abroad?

A: Yes. When you apply for study abroad, your application will ask you to list any and all learning accommodations necessary, physical disability needs, and even dietary restrictions. Most study abroad programs consider students with disabilities on a case by case basis and make accommodations whenever possible. However, some countries are not nearly as well-equipped as the United States with regard to accessibility. You should contact the programs you are interested in and speak to the Study Abroad Director to obtain more information.

  Q: How do I fill out the Course Approval Form?     


  •  You first need to meet with your major and your minor advisor. Discuss the courses that you will be taking while abroad and what requirements they fulfill for Elizabethtown.  
  • Fill out the form with the course codes from your host school and the equivalent courses at Etown.
  • Have your major and your minor advisor sign the form and the submit it to the Director of Study Abroad
  • The Registrar will provide final approval for all Core and Free Elective courses that you will be taking. 
  • The form will then be emailed to you and should be kept for your records.
  • If there are any class changes once you arrive at your study abroad destination please inform your advisors and the Director of Study Abroad immediately.

Note: Some overseas universities do not use the same credit hour designations so you need to be sure that your courses count for a minimum of 12 credit hours at Etown or you will not be considered a full time student.

Elizabethtown College Study Abroad Office